Last Updated on September 24, 2020, 6:36 AM AST by Anthony Morris
Investigators are searching for the adults behind a video which is going viral on social media, the video features a child, not older than five years old, being encouraged to smoke and drink as part what looks like a birthday celebration.
Children’s Advocate Diahann Gordon Harrison said that the clip, which has drawn reactions of distress and outrage from social media users, is now the subject of a probe by the Office of the Children’s Advocate in collaboration with the police and other State agencies.
Gordon Harrison disclosed that they have made some headway and have, established contact with an individual who would hopefully lead them to the actual person who created the video and posted it.
She said that they have an interest in looking at the circumstances which surround why the video was made in the first place, what is happening with that child and the negative exposure which was seen demonstrated in that clip, because if that is happening in one clip, then who can tell what is happening outside in general context.
She continued by saying that they expect to be successful in the short term and to be treating the matter in keeping with preserving and promoting the best interest of the child.
The children’s advocate said that the OCA has information that so far suggests, tentatively, that the child in the video was not in the Corporate Area.
She said that the life of the child and the adults behind the video are in conflict with the law.
Anthony Morris covers stories related to politics and regional developments. His in-depth reporting about governance and reforms makes him stand out in regional journalism, with a deep analysis of political trends and their impact on Caribbean communities.











