US formally ends three bilateral accords with Hong Kong
US formally ends three bilateral accords with Hong Kong

Last Updated on August 20, 2020, 10:40 AM AST by Anthony Morris

American authorities have formally notified Hong Kong on Wednesday that the United States has withdrawn from three bilateral deals with Hong Kong regarding extradition and taxation.

The announcement came after President Donald Trump decided to revoke the preferential trade status of Hong Kong as Beijing clamped down on the city over huge and violent protests last year.

Trump signed an executive order in July, saying that Hong Kong lacked the autonomy which was needed to justify the special treatment given to it as compared with China.

The State Department stated that as part of the ongoing implementation measures, the department notified the Hong Kong authorities on Aug 19 of US suspension or termination of three bilateral agreements.

It was further stated that these agreements covered the transfer of sentenced persons, the surrender of fugitive offenders and reciprocal tax exemptions on income earned from the international operation of ships.

Further, the statement added that these steps underscore the deep concern of the US regarding the decision of Beijing to impose the National Security Law, which has crushed the freedoms of the people of Hong Kong,” it said.

Beijing had imposed the new national security law in response to last year’s protests.

It has described the law, and its contents kept secret until it was enacted on June 30, as a “sword” hanging over the heads of opponents in Hong Kong.

The law officially criminalises subversion, secession, colluding with foreign forces and terrorism.

But the broadly worded provisions have outlawed certain political speech overnight, such as greater autonomy or independence for Hong Kong and advocating sanctions.

The Hong Kong government said the US decision to end the agreements showed disrespect for multilateralism and bilateralism under the current administration and the international community should condemn it.

The Hong Kong government said that it strongly objects to and deplores the US action, which is being seen as a move to make troubles in the China-US relationship, using Hong Kong as a pawn.

Reporter at SKN News | anthony@sknnews.com |  + posts

Anthony Morris covers stories related to politics and regional developments. His in-depth reporting about governance and reforms makes him stand out in regional journalism, with a deep analysis of political trends and their impact on Caribbean communities.