Last Updated on May 28, 2020, 11:28 PM AST by Anthony Morris
The legal counsel for the opposition St Kitts-Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP), Mr Sylvester Anthony has clarified the two issues taken to the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court earlier this week.
He said the Labour Party’s application has nothing to do with seeking an injunction against the State of Emergency or the upcoming Election.
“It is an injunction asserting that the State of Emergency should end because it is being used in a discriminatory manner; that the regulations are disproportionate and are not necessary at this point for the managing of the COVID-19 pandemic based on the medical and scientific evidence that the Government itself has advanced. That’s what this case is about,” said Mr Anthony.
He also explained the matter brought against the State-owned ZIZ Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC).
“[The case is about ZIZ Corporation, a state-owned media house not ensuring that all political voices are heard. It is not about getting “free-time” on ZIZ; it is about getting equal time … It is about ensuring that the activities of Opposition Parties are covered in the news and current affairs programming of the state-owned media … So this case is not about injuncting the Election. It is not about injuncting the State of Emergency. It is not about opening the borders for planes to land. This is about ensuring that the Government does not continue to use the COVID-19 Regulations to give itself an advantage in a political campaign and to suppress the voices of the Opposition and the supporters of the Opposition. That’s what this case is about,” Anthony explained.
He disclosed that during the two-hour deliberations this morning (Thursday) lawyers on behalf of the Attorney General sought to have the matter of the hearing adjourned until Tuesday, and the judge indicated that he would hear the matter today and that he would not adjourn it to Tuesday.
“However, when he returned, the judge recused himself, and the matter has now been set before another judge for 10 am tomorrow (Friday),” he elaborated.
The SKNLP said it looks forward to Friday’s hearing and is determined to vigorously defend its claim that the Government, in an abuse of its power, is using the COVID-19 as a cover to give themselves an advantage in a political campaign and to suppress the voices of the Opposition and the supporters of the Opposition.
Anthony Morris covers stories related to politics and regional developments. His in-depth reporting about governance and reforms makes him stand out in regional journalism, with a deep analysis of political trends and their impact on Caribbean communities.











