jamaica records another COVID related death, 29 new cases
jamaica records another COVID related death, 29 new cases

Last Updated on August 8, 2020, 7:43 AM AST by Anthony Morris

Jamaica has recorded another death due to COVID-19, and the total number of deaths since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country has become 13.

The deceased is an 88-year-old woman who belongs to Clarendon.

The Ministry of Health has said that she was admitted to a public health facility on Tuesday, August 4, in the parish and it was confirmed that she has the virus today.

Meanwhile, the ministry has reported 29 new cases of COVID-19, which were recorded over the past 24 hours. The discovery of new cases has brought the total number of confirmed cases in Jamaica to 987.

The 29 new cases consist of 20 males and nine females, and their ages range from 15 to 88 years. There are 12 imported cases which belong to St James. These cases arrived in Jamaica recently on a flight from the Dominican Republic.

The ministry added that two import-related cases belong to Clarendon while one case which is from St Thomas is a contact of a previously confirmed case.

Fourteen other cases which are under investigation and five of these were recorded in St Thomas, four in St Andrew and Kingston; two cases are in Clarendon and rest of the three cases are in Manchester, St Mary and St Catherine.

The ministry also said that seven patients are considered to be moderately ill currently.

Reporter at SKN News | anthony@sknnews.com |  + posts

Anthony Morris covers stories related to politics and regional developments. His in-depth reporting about governance and reforms makes him stand out in regional journalism, with a deep analysis of political trends and their impact on Caribbean communities.